Tuesday, March 26, 2013

All My Days Are the Lord's

A friend of mine recently commented in his Facebook status that "all my days are the Lord's."  Of course, I thought, Amen!  I agree with that!  But then, I started pondering what that really means...

And it occured to me that if, in fact, I believe that all my days are the Lord's, then they are not mine - and if they are not mine, then shouldn't my days be ordered in such a fashion as to please the Lord, the one who owns them?  And yet, when I considered my "to do" list for that very day, I could not honestly say that everything on my list was written there with the Lord in mind, but only (or mostly) for myself...

Hmmm.

Someone once commented to me that they didn't believe "every" part of our lives needed to have a spiritual connotation to it.  But I disagree.  If you've trust Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, recognizing that YOUR sins put him on the cross, then you are bought with a price; you are not your own.  And the Holy Spirit lives within you; you are called to be holy - set apart.  So then, every part of our days, every item on our to-do lists, ought to be considered in light of what the Lord wants.

Does your to-do list contain items to pick up at the grocery store?  How does that relate to the Lord?  Well - do you look for opportunites to be kind, to strike up conversations with those around you?  Do you consider - with thanksgiving! - how blessed you are by God that you have not only the financial ability, but also the physical ability to go to the store in the first place?  Do you praise God for his provision and watch care over you?

In everything we do, in every item on our to-do list, there is opportunity to thank and praise God.  But even as you do that, be thoughtful - I also recently saw a post about "opportunity costs" - in other words, as you consider purchasing yet another pair of new heels for yourself, is there something else that money could buy - another opportunity to use those same dollars for the benefit of someone else?  Not everything is "good" or "bad" - sometimes, it's an issue of "good" or "better."

So as you wander (or charge full-steam ahead!) through your day today, consider: is my day for the Lord - or is it for myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment