Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Who Are You?

In so many areas of our lives we walk a fine line between desiring to "fit in" and yet to "stand out". Between "being noticed" and yet not being "weird". Between being "uniquely individual" and being alone.

If I am a Vikings fan, I wear purple. A Memphis fan wears blue. I do not wear green & yellow or crimson red - I wear colors that identify me with my team.

As a Christian - which means "little Christ" or "Christ-like", I want to be identified with Christ. And while there may not be a particular color that would indentify me as such, certainly the way I dress does - ie, if my clothing highlights body parts instead of me as a person, others are going to be distracted by the body parts - they certainly will not see Jesus living in me! And not only the outward appearance, but also what I say, how I act, where I go...all these things identify me.

A Vikings fan does not brag about Green Bay's defense. A Christian should not be using foul language. A Vikings fan does not hang out at the Green Bay practice field, seeking autographs from the players; a Christian does not hang out with unbelievers, seeking their approval & desiring to be like them. A Vikings fan cheers for their own team; a Christian is excited to talk about Jesus.

In a world where we exalt the individual, where we strive to be unique, Christians have chosen to blend with the crowd. I challenge you today to let others know who you really are and to let them see Jesus in you. I WANT to be know as a Christian; I WANT others to know what Jesus did for me.

Eternity is a certainty for all of us. You just have to decide which side you will be identified with.

No comments:

Post a Comment