Saturday, May 28, 2011

Facebook...

I have found that there are two things to discern from reading other people's posts on Facebook:

1.  They are living a fantasy life via Facebook, where everything is wonderful but in reality it is falling down around their ears, or
2.  They are who they really are on Facebook, and they have forgotten who is reading their posts!  In other words, they say, do, act as one person - particularly on Sundays - but the rest of the week their lives just don't match up with the person you see on Sunday.

I'm a Christian because Jesus saved me from my own wicked sin, and I accepted that free gift and made it my own.  The Holy Spirit dwells within me, 24/7 - there is no part of my life from which He is excluded.  Therefore, being a "Christian" is not something I DO - it's who I AM.  There is no "secular" (non-Christian) sections of my life - ALL of my life should be that which pleases God and brings glory to Him.  No part of my life should be lived in such a way that an unsaved person would not be able to see a difference between my life and theirs.

I'm not talking about being "weird" or dressing weird or "Bible thumping".  Having said that, however, I do believe God would not want me to explode in anger, or wear immodest clothing, or fail to share what he does in my life (which may very well include quoting or reading scripture).  But it grieves my heart, for instance, to hear on Sunday how someone is so desperate for "good, uplifting, godly music" for themselves and their family, but then the highlight of their week seems to be watching American Idol and gushing over some rock star on Facebook.

Now, don't get me wrong - it's not like I've never watched American Idol.  My point is that if you truly want to live a surrendered, God-honoring life, then you do it 24/7.  You don't put yourself in positions, you don't fill your mind with things, that will draw you away from the Lord.  Is it easy?  Of course not!  Is it even possible?  Absolutely not!  Not on our own.  We need God's help.

How do we get God's help?  Well, do you take time EVERYDAY to read your Bible?  Just a verse or two - just to get you thinking about the Lord?  And what He requires of you?  How can you strive to be like someone you don't even know??  Do you take time EVERYDAY to pray for wisdom, strength, guidance - or do you only pray when there's a crisis?

We're good at excuses, and Satan is eager to feed them to us.  If you're saved, every part of your life should reflect that you belong to Jesus.  Don't quote scripture on one profile feed and praises for ungodly, unsaved people on the next.  

And if I've "stepped on your toes" with this post, I hope you'll consider this:  If I've said something that is untrue, then please come and talk to me about it.  If not, then it may be time to take stock and do some honest soul-searching.

My goal in writing this post is not to "bash" anyone, but rather to cause some thought to be given as to what we're doing in our day-to-day lives.  I see so many Christians struggling to be "successful" in their walk; and this is just one of many evidences that highlights WHY they cannot claim the victory Jesus has already promised.

If someone were going to try to arrest you for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?  Or would there be a hung jury?  Think about it.  

~Tammy~

No comments:

Post a Comment