Thursday, May 12, 2011

Look Out!

My Sunday School lesson this week is on Philippians 2:1-5.


The lesson starts off by asking the students to list 5 things that would be part of their "ideal day".  When they're done, we look at the lists to see who is the focus of each list.  Chances are, the focus is themselves, not others.  For example, it is doubtful anyone will have listed "Helping Mom clean the house" as part of their ideal day!


We don't need "help" or encouragement to look out for our own interests - that comes naturally.  But God wants us to "look out" for the interest of others as well.


I was convicted to realize that had I made my own "ideal day" list, my list would probably have been just as self-focused as my 4th-6th graders' lists.  Obviously, this is not very Christ-like!  Just when I think I might be getting somewhere in my Christian growth, God shows me another area where there is still room for improvement - sometimes, more room than I'd like to admit.  :)


But rather than be discouraged by this, I find that I can rejoice - because it means that God has not given up and is still willing to work on me!  


Yelling "Look out!" may keep someone from getting hurt, but God also wants me to "look out!" for the needs of others.  With his help and by his grace, I'm praying my "ideal day" list will change to become more focused on others than on self.


What's on your  "ideal day" list?


~Tammy~

No comments:

Post a Comment