Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day...

Yesterday, a dear friend of ours lost his father.  We grieve with him and lift him up in prayer as his family gathers together, and we think of his mom, lost without her husband of so many years.

Today is Memorial Day.  A day set aside to remember those who have fought for our country and our freedoms and sacrificed so much for each one of us.  We attended a memorial service this morning; it always touches my heart to see the men and women in uniform, so proud of their country.  Tears always pool at the thought of those who could not be there today because they gave their lives for our country.  I am forever thankful for my husband, who established this tradition of attending these services on Memorial Day many years ago, when our children were little.

But when I got home today, I started going through some old pictures.  And Memorial Day took on a different meaning then, as I found pictures of my own dad, who succumbed to cancer more than 27 years ago at the age of 39.

And then, amidst the pictures, I found this newspaper article, written about my dad.  Judging by the ages of my sister and I as mentioned in the article, this must have been in 1978.  And as I read it, it brought a smile to my heart and laughter to my lips, as I remembered the dad I grew up with.  So, I thought I'd share it with you today.  My own children never knew my dad; I have a wonderful step-dad, whom I love dearly, and my children have always called him Grandpa; but perhaps through this article, they will know a little bit more of the man I knew as "Dad"...



Anyway, on this Memorial Day, I want to remember my dad.  I love you, Dad - I miss you still.

Love,
Tammy





1 comment: