Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lessons Learned

God has taught me a couple of things this week that really caught my attention...

#1 - Circumstances do not need to control me.  

One morning this week I got up at my normal time to workout and was disappointed to find that the room I workout in was 83 degrees!  (We haven't turned the A/C on yet).  It was WAY too hot, and it made me feel sluggish before I'd even started.  I did workout, but it didn't feel very effective.

Then, when it come time for breakfast, the coffee pot was empty, so I had to make some more.  Not a big deal, it just took time I hadn't planned on spending.  Meanwhile, I'd let the dog out, and she'd disappeared.  I had to call for several minutes before she finally came back.

Next, I fixed my morning oatmeal and it "boiled" over in the microwave.  So now I not only had a mess to clean up (in the microwave and all over a now sticky bowl), but I didn't get to eat it all!!

As I was walking back to my bedroom to get dressed for work, I found myself thinking, Great.  THIS is going to be a fabulous day (insert heavy sarcasm here) - I can already tell!!  But then, that still, small voice whispered, "It's just circumstances.  Is that where your joy comes from?"  

Well, no, I thought.  Of course not.  My joy comes from knowing YOU, Lord.  Who I am in You.  "Yet, that's not the way you're acting - you've already given up on your day - because of circumstances - but I haven't changed."

And I realized what I was doing.  

So, mentally "shrugging off" those annoyances that had already occurred, I started counting my blessings and realized it was going to be a GREAT day - because God was in it!  And I did have a great day - not because anything stupendous happened, but only because I'd changed my attitude and my outlook - with God's help.  

#2 - God doesn't call me to do everything.

Earlier this week, there was a need in our church family that was brought to my attention.  The Lord impressed upon my heart a way to address that need, so I offered it to the person involved.

Well, it turned out that the offer I made was not necessary, as God had already worked out a solution.  My first reaction was frustration - here I was, ready to help, ready to make a few small sacrifices in order to meet a need, and I wasn't needed!  In fact, to be honest, this wasn't the first time I'd offered help to this person and been turned away (always in the most gracious of ways), and I was tempted to have a little pity party.  Is it me? Have I said or done something that would cause this person not to trust me in this?  Why is it that others seem to be able to help, but I can't?  

And then, once again, God whispered in my soul.  "This is not your ministry right now.  I have not called you to this.  You can pray - that is your help right now."  And, I confess, joy burst through my heart!  Because I realized that, yes, God wants me to be willing, and yes, God wants me to offer - but He is not going to use me every time, not in that exact way.  Others may need the blessing right then.  Others may need to be used.  Others may need something to learn - just like I needed to learn this:  God doesn't call me to meet every need I see, but He does want me to be willing.

I left my offer on the table to be available for any need that should arise in this situation, and promised to continue in prayer.  God knows my heart - He knows I am sincere.  And I know He has a perfect plan, just for me.  :-)

~Tammy~

No comments:

Post a Comment