Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Under Conviction

I teach Sunday School for 4th - 6th graders.  Every week I study the lesson.  I don't expect to be "convicted" about anything in particular as I teach the familiar scripture passages and lessons.

But that's exactly what happened this morning.

This week's lesson is on "perseverance", based on Galatians 6:9, and is based on the story of the 4 friends who dropped their friend thru the ceiling so he could see Jesus.  The "Teacher Preparation" page went something like this:

  • Look around your house.  How many projects are sitting unfinished?  A strip of wallpaper; a second coat of paint?
  • What tempts you to leave a project undone?
  • Perseverance carries us through projects, especially the unpleasant ones, when we feel like quitting.  Are you known for your perseverance?
  • While house projects can be left undone without much consequence, spiritual projects are a different matter.  Ask God to help you to persevere in a spiritual project this week.
Any idea what the convicting part of this was for me?  Well, I'll tell you.  Just yesterday I was bemoaning the fact that I have all these ideas bouncing through my head; projects I'd like to do, etc.  But you know what?  Not one of them is a "spiritual" project.  Wow!  I was so convicted when I read the teacher prep - Ask God to help me persevere?  How 'bout I at least HAVE one to persevere in??

I'm so thankful God doesn't give up on me, and that he uses the most simple means - like a Junior Sunday School lesson - to get my attention.    ~Tammy~

1 comment: